Ice Ponds



Next trip, we’re off to Kalihi Ice-ponds! 

Out in the mountains of Kalihi Valley hides this hidden gem. I’d say the difficulty level of this “hike” is a 4 on a scale of 10. The path to the ice ponds is fairly easy. There’s a paved path about a miles up that leads to a downwards dirt staircase like path. On a rainy day, or the day after might make it a little more difficult to get down. It gets pretty muddy but I think it made the trip somewhat more venturous. Nothing wrong with getting down and dirty because the ice ponds are definitely worth it. There are actually two more ponds above this one in the photo.   

 

This is a hike that is totally doable for all ages. You could never go wrong with taking a trip here. Whether it's a sunny day, or a cloudy one. Once you reach the bottom, there’s an amazing view. The little waterfall fills this pond with icy cold fresh water, but after the work you put in to get there comes a great reward! 





Comments

  1. I've been looking for hikes for when i come back to Hawaii after the pandemic passes. thanks for showcasing this hike, it looks like a lot of fun. Most of the hikes ive done have been on the east side in Waimanalo and Kaneohe. it would be nice to make the drive out to kalihi on a sunny day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not really a hiker because I don't like to be in the heat away from water but this hike has my curiosity peaked! There are 3 ponds in total? And all of them are accessible? I love the name icy ponds because the water is from the mountains which are cooler naturally. Are these ponds that one can safely swim in without the scare of those diseases that you can catch, I think one of them is called leptospirosis. I really want to try this hike out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Where the Sun Sets

Lulumahu Falls

My Go-To